George H. Croom Sr. was once born on Oct. 25, 1920, in Jenkins, Kentucky. His father and mom, Shep and Frankie Croom moved to Newark someday sooner than the 1930 census.

To George, Newark was once his house. He was once 23-years-old when he enlisted within the Military on Jan. 23, 1943, leaving in the back of a spouse and four-year-old son, George Jr. In an interview for the Licking County Library in 2014, George Jr. comparable a tale he remembered about visiting his dad in Virginia all through the warfare. George was once mentioning the racism that existed there when he may just no longer cross any place to play.

“My dad was once stationed in Virginia, and my mother took me on a bus to Virginia from Ohio. My dad was once nonetheless operating at the base and I requested mother if I may just cross to a spot with a merry-go-round. I sought after to trip a merry-go-round. Anyway, this white sailor got here and he knew dad. He mentioned to my mother, you’re George’s spouse,  aren’t you? My mother mentioned yea how do you know? Neatly, he’s a pal of mine the sailor mentioned. Right here’s what I need you to do. You pick out your son up, so mother picked me up, then he picked mother up and he carried us outdoor the gate. He carried us throughout Virginia, puts the place shall we cross and puts the place I may just play. By the point dad were given off, he took us again to the bottom. That was once one of the vital greatest blessings for me. The largest tragedy of this entire factor is that he and my dad went aboard a boat and went out of the country. The kamikaze Jap airplane hit the send and killed him, my dad survived. I at all times sought after afterward in my lifestyles to mention thank you. However I by no means were given to mention thank you like that. However for me, colour doesn’t make any distinction. God made us like that. This guy helped me to peer how equivalent everybody was once.”

George Croom leaves Newark for World War II

Croom Sr. served on two other Touchdown Craft Infantry attack ships within the Pacific theater. He was once first assigned to LCI-423 after which in Might of 1944, he was once transferred to LCI-981. Those ships had been designed to hold 200 males and had been used to land huge numbers of infantry immediately on a seashore. The 981st took phase within the Morotai landings in New Guinea in September of 1944. Then in November and December, they had been energetic in landings at Leyte and Luzon. In January and February of 1945, they took phase within the Manila Bay-Bicol Operations after which with the consolidation and seize of the Southern Philippines.